Chocolate Toxicity

Halloween is a scary time of the month, but for more reasons than you think. Chocolate, a yummy treat for kids and adults alike, is potentially toxic and even fatal to dogs and cats.

Chocolate can be a powerful stimulant to the central nervous system of many animal species. Cocoa powder is the most toxic form of chocolate for pets followed by dark chocolate and milk chocolate. If sufficient quantities are ingested signs of agitation, nervousness and even seizures can result and in severe cases heart problems.

Now is a great time to talk to the kids about not feeding chocolate to your pets as well as making sure that all the Halloween candy is kept out of reach of curious or hungry pets. In case of accidental ingestion or if your pet begins to exhibit signs of agitation and you are unsure of possible exposure to chocolate contact your veterinarian.

What's Next

  • 1

    Call Us or Schedule an Appointment Online

  • 2

    Meet with a Doctor for an Initial Exam

  • 3

    Put a Plan Together for Your Pet